Dogs are the number one pet in America, but this does not mean they are not capable of causing serious injury. Dog bite attacks continue to be a public health concern across the country, with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimating 45 million dog bites reported annually. If you or a loved one have been bitten by a dog, you should consult with a Cherry Hill dog bite lawyer as you may have the basis to file an injury claim.
Common Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bites and attacks result in different types of injuries with varying levels of severity. Some of the most common types of injuries that should include contact with a Cherry Hill dog bite attorney include:
- Puncture wounds tear or scratch human flesh when a dog’s sharp claws or fangs penetrate the skin. The wounds can leave permanent scarring and are susceptible to infection. Nerve and muscle damage is possible with deep dog bites.
- Blood poisoning and infection occur from the transfer of dog saliva to an individual’s blood stream. Since small blood infections can grow and spread quickly, even minor dog bites place victims at risk for blood poisoning. Infections, such as rabies and tetanus, are dangerous. When left untreated, they can cause organ failure, amputation or even death.
- Muscle and nerve damage can cause long term pain and immobility due to a dog’s strong jaws, especially when they bite hard and deep into a limb, neck or face. Some damage can be permanent, leaving individuals with years of treatment for numbness, loss of sensation, chronic pain and immobility.
- Scars and tissue loss from dog bites are lasting imprints that can result in deformity or disfigurement to the area. Severe injuries often require repeated, painful reconstructive surgeries to reduce or remove the scar or recreate the tissue loss. Victims suffer physically and emotionally with a constant and visible reminder of the dog attack.
- Broken bones are common with dog bites and, in most cases, occur when a person falls from fighting the dog, or when they are knocked over by a large dog during an attack. In addition, powerful dog jaws can crush bones in smaller limbs such as the wrists, hands, arms, ankles and feet. Broken bones impact an individual’s quality of life and ability to work.’
Consult With a Cherry Hill Dog Bite Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have suffered any of the above-mentioned injuries as a result of a dog attack, please do not hesitate to contact the Cherry Hill dog bite lawyers at Grungo Colarulo as soon as possible so they can begin to evaluate your case and help you get the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering.