New Jersey has many sights and attractions that are available to entertain residents all year long. But many surrounding states also have attractions that are often worth a trip out-of-state. A New Jersey resident may wish, for example, to go visit the Empire State Building in New York, or catch a Flyers game in Philadelphia. But while these states and cities may just be an hour or two away from New Jersey, a lot can happen in that time, and when they do, it can leave New Jersey residents wondering what to do after an out-of-state accident. A seasoned car accident lawyer can evaluate someone’s claim and if they have a case, they can guide an individual through their car accident case.

Insurance Policies

When it comes to knowing what to do after an out-of-state accident, regarding insurance issues, it is important to remember that New Jersey is a no-fault state. That means that when someone from New Jersey is in a car accident, even when the accident does not occur in New Jersey, they may have to go through their own insurance company in order to get accident benefits. But it depends on the insurance laws of the state they are visiting.

New York and Pennsylvania are also states with no-fault insurance policies. So if someone from New Jersey was to get into an accident in either of these states, generally both drivers would have to go through their own insurance company to get the same types of benefits. However if the New Jersey driver had traveled farther, to a state that had at-fault insurance, it can become more complicated.

Out-of-State Insurance Coverage

Typically, the laws in the state the accident occurred will govern over an accident. This means that if the New Jersey driver was traveling to a tort state, such as Maryland, they would most likely need to go through the other driver’s insurance policy in order to claim benefits. However, many New Jersey insurance policies provide for out-of-state coverage and so, that policy may still cover the New Jersey driver. It is essential that drivers check their insurance policy, and look very carefully at the wording, before driving to another state.

Who is At-Fault?

If the New Jersey resident was injured during the accident, they could still file a lawsuit against an at-fault driver. And if they were at fault for the accident, they can still have a lawsuit filed against them. But when injuries take place outside of New Jersey, this can also be more complicated. Attorneys are typically licensed to practice within their state, and cannot practice in another state. This means that even if the New Jersey driver wants to sue and already has a New Jersey attorney, they will need to find another attorney licensed to practice in the state where the accident happened. A New Jersey attorney will not be able to speak to other insurance companies or represent a driver in court in any state other than New Jersey.

Contacting a New Jersey Car Accident Attorney

Driving to another state to take in the sights can be exciting. But accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, overshadowing the trip and leaving drivers feeling anxious and confused. It is very important for all drivers traveling to another state to check their own insurance policy first and to check whether the state they are traveling to is a no-fault or a tort state. The few minutes this will take can better prepare people, and take some of the stress out of the situation if an accident does occur. An individual’s next step should be to consult an experienced car accident lawyer that may know what to do after an out-of-state car accident. An attorney can attempt to help them recover damages for their injuries.

Satisfied Customers


What Our Clients Are Saying About Us