Medical malpractice in New Jersey occurs when a physician or medical institution violates the standard of care established by the medical community, and this violation causes harm to the patient. These cases are complex and should be handled by lawyers experienced in this area of law. A Medford medical malpractice lawyer has the knowledge and experience to take on your medical malpractice claim.
Medical Malpractice and Catastrophic Injury
When a physician or medical institution makes a mistake, it can cause serious and catastrophic injury or death. Medicine is not a perfect science, and sometimes the risks of injury or death are acceptable risks of a treatment or surgery. In other cases, physicians or institutions exhibit a lack of care, inattention, negligence, or reckless behavior and cause great harm to patients. When this happens, the patient or the family needs to retain a Medford medical malpractice lawyer to prove the causes of their injuries, and to recover full compensation for the pain, suffering, and economic damages experienced.
Types of Medical Malpractice
Medford medical malpractice lawyers represent individuals who were injured by:
- Adverse drug reactions – prescribing drugs that are unnecessary or harmful to the patient
- Drugs administered by mistake or in improper dosage – administering the wrong drug or the correct drug in a dangerous or fatal dosage
- Surgical devices and sponges left behind – after surgery, devices, and sponges that were left behind in the body cavity can cause infection and death
- Anesthesia errors – administering the wrong drugs or in the wrong dosages, can cause injury or death
- Failure to diagnose illness – a missed diagnosis and the patient is deprived of timely treatment by the physician’s or laboratory’s mistake
- Removal of wrong organ – a regular and preventable occurrence, where the patient has one good organ, such as a kidney, and one failing organ, and the surgeon removes the healthy organ in error
- Operating on the wrong limb or wrong procedure –another event that occurs far too frequently, the surgeon operates on the right knee when the left knee is damaged, or performs the wrong procedure on the patient
- Failure to treat or recognize psychiatric condition – patients inform their psychiatrist of facts that would lead a reasonable physician to hospitalize or medicate the patient, the physician does not, and the failure to do so results in suicide or death
- Mistakes made in childbirth – physician fails to provide adequate care to the mother and baby, and the child is born with severe defects, such as brain injury
Proving Medical Malpractice and Recovering Compensation
Medical malpractice cases require proof of the standard of care for the patient or procedure and proof that the physician or institution did not meet this standard of care. To accomplish this, Medford medical malpractice lawyers retain experts in the particular field of medicine who review the complete records and testimony of all parties. The expert renders an opinion as to whether the standard of care was met and whether the injuries sustained were a result of the breach of care.
Contact a Medford Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
An experienced attorney can recover money equal to individuals’ medical costs, which in lifetime care cases, can be significant. The lawyer can also recover money for the pain and suffering experienced. In some cases, punitive damages, which are designed to punish the defendant for egregious their conduct, can be recovered. There is a time limit to present your medical malpractice claim. Contact a Medford, New Jersey medical malpractice lawyer today to discuss your case and learn your rights as a victim of medical malpractice.